The Santa Clarita Valley Area Plan (Area Plan) was adopted by the County Board of Supervisors on November 27, 2012 and took effect on December 27, 2012. The Area Plan is a component of the County General Plan which provides goals, objectives, policies, and implementation actions that apply only to the unincorporated portions of the Santa Clarita Valley. The Area Plan is a component of “One Valley One Vision”, a joint planning effort with the City of Santa Clarita. The other component is the City of Santa Clarita General Plan, which was adopted by the Santa Clarita City Council on June 14, 2011. Together, the County’s Area Plan and the City’s General Plan provide a unified vision for development and conservation for the entire Santa Clarita Valley.
On November 27, 2012, the Board of Supervisors also adopted two ordinances amending Title 22 (Planning and Zoning) of the County Code. Both ordinances also took effect on December 27, 2012. The Area Plan’s Trails Map was adopted on January 16, 2007.
Santa Clarita Valley Area Plan Maintenance
The Santa Clarita Valley Area Plan will be regularly maintained and update as needed. The Santa Clarita Valley Area Plan Maintenance Project was adopted on October 30, 2018. The Plan Amendment items became effective October 30, 2018 and the associated zone changes became effective November 29, 2018.
- Adjust the boundary between the Santa Clarita Valley Area Plan (SCV Plan) and the Antelope Valley Area Plan (AV Plan) to align with the existing Community Standards District boundaries;
- Adjust the boundary between the SCV Plan and the AV Plan to adjust and correctly map parcels in the Sand Canyon area of the National Forest;
- Correct the land use designations for the adjusted Sand Canyon parcels and surrounding National Forest land; and
- Incorporate the Board-adopted Castaic Trails Plan Map into the Santa Clarita Valley Area Plan.
- Correction of zone changes made with the adoption of the SCV Plan; and
- Correct the zoning location for the adjusted Sand Canyon parcels.