Los Angeles County Department of Regional Planning

Zoning Enforcement

Reporting Violations

IMPORTANT: Please verify that the property in question is located within the Unincorporated area of Los Angeles County. Visit Z-Net (GIS web mapping application) to VERIFY the jurisdiction and to get the exact address and Assessor’s Parcel Number for a property. This information would be helpful and help avoid any delays with the investigation of the property. Also please visit our “Zoning Violations” and FAQs page for more information and examples of possible zoning violations. If the property is not within the Unincorporated County area, please contact the appropriate city for more information. In your complaint, include the following information:

In your complaint, include the following information:

  • Identify the specific zoning violation. Try to provide enough details about the alleged violation such as the current condition of the property; type of activity; name of the business; time and days of the reported violation; and provide any additional details regarding the reported violation.
  • You may provide us your name, telephone number, and/or other contact information so that we can obtain additional information regarding your complaint. This information is just for us and is kept confidential. You may also remain anonymous.
  • Give the exact location of the problem. Identify where in the property the violation occurs. For example, the violation is in the house, garage, dwelling unit, shed, commercial building, etc.
  • Street address and house number
    • If there is no address available, provide the location of the property, (i.e. northwest corner of First and Main streets) or use Z-NET to obtain the Assessor’s Parcel Number (APN) or (AIN) by simply clicking on the parcel. The APN or AIN is found on the page (2of 2) of the dialog box.
  • Provide additional information that will aid in the investigation.
  • Examples:

  • Vehicle license number, type, color, make of vehicle, left door missing, etc
  • Type of debris; car parts; building material; tires; garbage
  • Selling clothes, bags, furniture, paintings, flowers, etc.

A complaint regarding a possible zoning violation can be made by one of the following methods:




call211 LA County Helpline. Community Resource Advisors will take down your complaint in writing and forward it to ALL applicable County agencies. Just dial 2-1-1 within LA County or call (800) 339-6993. They are available to assist you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.


Department of Regional Planning - Zoning Enforcement Section. Staff will take down zoning violation complaints at (213) 974-6453 or (213) 974-6483.

Mobile Application

theWorksThe Los Angeles County Department of Public works expanded their ‘The Works’ mobile application to include reporting possible property violations. You can now report excessive vegetation, junk or trash; illegal parking; inoperable vehicle; occupied RVs; and improper signs or banners. Users can submit a detailed description of an issue and attach a related site photo. For more information and to download the app, visit: http://dpw.lacounty.gov/theworks

Write a Letter

Department of Regional Planning, Zoning Enforcement Section
320 West Temple Street
Los Angeles, CA 90012

DRP en Español

Online Appointment Now Available!

Metro Area Plan Outdoor Permit Covid-19 UAS Drone Housing Element Update SB 9 Oil Well Tree Pest Disease FFCP Homeless Buying Property SEATAC Historic Preservation DRP Video Library

Follow Us

Twitter Facebook Instagram YouTube

©2009 Los Angeles County Department of Regional Planning.

All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement.

Please send website questions and comments to webadmin@planning.lacounty.gov

Many of our documents are in PDF format. You can download Adobe Reader by clicking this link.

Department of Regional Planning
320 West Temple Street
Los Angeles, CA 90012
T: (213) 974-6411 . F: (213) 626-0434
TDD: (213) 617-2292
Twitter Facebook Instagram YouTube