Los Angeles County Department of Regional Planning

Zoning Enforcement

How many animals can I have on my property?

    Animals as Pets in Residential/Agricultural Zones

    The number of animals allowed varies depending on the zone and area of the property. No more than three dogs over the age of four months per dwelling unit, plus one additional service dog, may be kept on any Residentially or Agriculturally Zoned property within unincorporated Los Angeles County. Residential and Agricultural zones permit the keeping of livestock as pets or for personal use of members of a family residing on a lot having a minimum of 15,000 square feet of land per dwelling unit. One horse, donkey, mule, other equine, or cattle over nine months of age, or one sheep, goat, alpaca, or llama over six months of age may be kept for every 5,000 square feet. The keeping of other unusual and exotic animals may be permitted depending on the zone and lot size, and may require additional permits from Department of Regional Planning and the Los Angeles County Department of Animal Care & Control. Please consult with planning staff at the Field Offices or at the Land Development Coordinating Center to determine whether there are any restrictions that will apply to the type of animal you wish to maintain on your property.

    Animals in Agricultural Zones for Agricultural Uses

    On A-2 (Heavy Agricultural) zoned properties greater than five acres there is no limitation on the number of such animals that may be kept. The raising of poultry and other animals for food production is permitted on agricultural properties of one acre or more. Breeding, raising, and training of horses and other equine, cattle, sheep, goats, alpacas, and llamas is permitted in Agricultural Zones having an area of not less than one acre and provided that not more than eight such animals per acre be kept or maintained in conjunction with such use. Hogs and pigs, not to exceed two weaned hogs or pigs, may be kept on an agricultural property so long as they are located no less than 150 feet from a highway and no less than 50 feet from the rear or side lot lines. Please note that any buildings or structures used in connection with the keeping of animals must be located not less than 50 feet from any street or highway or any building used or designed for human habitation and may be subject to additional development standards.

What items can I store or keep on my residential or agricultural property?

Only items associated with the established use may be stored and maintained on the property. Some items may be required to be stored inside a structure. Any storage structure must comply with required yard setbacks, building separation and use requirements/development standards. Vacant lots with no established use may not be used to store any items. If you have an approved project with an active building permit, construction materials and equipment may be stored on the property for the duration of construction and for up to 30 days afterwards.

What is an inoperative vehicle?

Any vehicle which cannot be operated lawfully on a public street or highway for any reason other than the lack of current vehicle registration, or which cannot be moved under its own power is considered an inoperative vehicle. Inoperative vehicles are not permitted to be stored on the property. Vehicles in running condition may only be parked within the driveway, garage, or in the backyard outside of the setbacks.

Can I place a single-wide mobilehome on a vacant parcel and live in it?

No. Single-wide mobilehomes do not meet residential development standards and do not qualify as single family residences. A typical single-wide mobilehome is 80 feet long and 16 feet wide, and is allowed for use only as a residence in a permitted mobilehome park, or as a caretaker’s residence with an approved conditional use permit. They may be allowed as an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) provided that they are incidental to a single family residence and they meet all the requirements for an ADU. They also may be used as temporary living quarters during construction of a single family residence on the property, for a period of one year with an approved plot plan.

Can I place a manufactured home on a vacant parcel and live in it?

Manufactured homes (double-wide mobilehome) may qualify and be used as single-family residences upon County approval if they are certified under the National Mobilehome Construction and Safety Standards Act of 1974 and are on a permanent foundation system approved by Building & Safety. They are also required to conform to the required single-family residence development standards in Title 22.

Can I park a company car or commercial vehicle on my residential property?

No. Commercial vehicles, including semi-trucks and trailers, are not permitted to be stored or maintained on residential or agricultural properties used for residential uses. All commercial vehicles, including tow trucks, pickup-truck style company vehicles, and any other company vehicle are required to be stored in appropriate industrial storage lots and prohibited from being continuously parked and/or maintained at properties in residential, agricultural, and commercial zones.

Can I run a commercial or industrial business from my property?

Residential or Agricultural zoned parcels do not permit commercial or industrial businesses, although Agricultural zones may allow for certain agriculturally-oriented businesses. Businesses operating in commercial or industrial zones must meet development standards and require approvals from various County Departments. The Mixed-Use Development (MXD) and Rural Commercial (C-RU) zones allow a combination of residential and various commercial or light industrial uses on the same property subject to approval.

What type of home-based occupation (business) can I operate from my home?

Home-based businesses are currently limited to activities that are incidental to the home, including small-scale service and office-type uses where there will be no more than one additional employee on-site at any given time. Home-based business activities shall not be conducted in the required parking structures or beyond the hours of 8:00 a.m. -8:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. See Title 22 for further information on home-based businesses. Note that business signs are prohibited for home-based occupations.

What do I need to do to host a wedding, festival, grand opening, rodeo, or other special event on my property?

Properties zoned Residential or Agricultural do not permit for-profit weddings or similar commercial special events. These events may be permitted in commercially zoned properties if the property has been approved to hold special events. Events held on private property that are intended to generate profit, such as rodeos and weddings held for commercial purposes, may only be held on properties with the appropriate zoning and may require a permit to operate. Events sponsored by a non-profit organization or public agency, including community events such as fairs, carnivals, festivals, and religious observances, and those events within a commercial zone that involve the outside display or sales of goods, equipment, merchandise, or exhibits require a TUP to operate. To find out further information about hosting an event and to obtain permits, please contact the Land Development Coordinating Center at zoningldcc@planning.lacounty.gov or by phone at (213) 974-6411.

Can I place a cargo storage/shipping container on my property? How many?

The placement of one cargo storage container as accessory to a lawfully established and verifiable use on property in zones A-1 and A-2, and only on parcels with a minimum net area of two acres, is permitted. The maximum container size shall not exceed 10’ width X 40’ length X 10’ height. The placement of a cargo container on any lot needs to comply with yard setbacks and all other County code requirements, including a Director’s Review Plot Plan from the Department of Regional Planning. Containers may also be placed within C-3 properties in accordance with the provisions for outside storage. Please see Title 22 for further information. Community Standards Districts (such as the Agua Dulce Community Standards District) may have additional regulations regarding the placement of cargo storage containers on lots of parcels of land.

Can I park a recreational vehicle, utility trailer, boat on my residential property?

On residentially or agriculturally zoned properties, operative recreational vehicles, utility trailers, and boats may be parked within areas that are outside of the required yard setbacks. They also need to be owned by a person residing on the property. The parking of recreational vehicles, utility trailers, and boats within the front yard, side yards setbacks, or on the driveway is prohibited. Recreational Vehicles and/or trailers are not permitted to be occupied as a residence on any private property within unincorporated Los Angeles County for any length of time.

What is a yard setback?

Every parcel in the agriculturally and residentially zoned parcel has a front, side and rear yard setback. A yard setback means an open space on the property as measured from the property lines. The required yard setbacks may vary but are generally twenty feet for the front yard, five feet for the side yard, and fifteen feet for the rear yard. Yards on residential and agricultural properties may be used or developed as permitted by Title 22. The parking of vehicles within any required yard setback is prohibited, except that the parking of passenger vehicles including pickup trucks, other than a motor home or travel trailer, is permitted on a driveway.

How tall can I build a fence on my residential or agricultural property?

Fences and walls within a required front yard setback area are permitted up to a height of 42 inches (3.5 feet). Interior side and rear yard fences and walls may be built up to six feet in height. Please note that there are additional height limitations for fences and walls within a corner side yard and there may be additional fence/wall height requirements within Community Standards Districts. All fence height restrictions applying to fences and walls also apply to hedges/vegetation planted within yards and forming a barrier serving the same purpose as a fence and wall.

When can I hold a yard sale on my property?

The Los Angeles County Yard Sale Ordinance allows yard sales to be conducted on designated weekends, which are on the last full Saturday & Sunday of the each month. Up to 2 additional yards sales on non-designated weekends during the year are permitted upon registration with the department. The registration is FREE. Yard sale hours of operation are in between 7:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.

Why can’t I conduct auto repair or auto painting on my property?

Automobile repair, maintenance, painting dismantling, and other bodywork activities are only permitted in certain Commercial and Industrial zoned areas upon department approval and must be conducted within an enclosed building. Automobile repair and bodywork activities are not permitted in Residential zones

Can I use my garage for storage or as a bedroom or Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU)?

Required covered off-street parking facilities, such as a garage or carport, must be maintained accessible for the parking of vehicle(s), unless DRP approval for another use has been obtained and replacement parking provided. For example, the garage entrance and driveway shall be free of obstacles so that vehicles can freely access the driveway and garage or carport and be parked inside. If you would like to change the use of your garage or carport to storage, habitable space or as an Accessory Dwelling Unit, consult with planning staff to determine if you comply with the required development and parking standards.

Can I rent my house to multiple tenants?

Generally, in residential and agricultural zones, rooms in a single-family residence may be rented to four or fewer residents, with or without table board, unless the residence is also used as a licensed adult residential facility or a group home for children. Renting to 5 or more residents is considered a Boarding/Rooming House, which requires a Conditional Use Permit (CUP) in zone R-3 and is permitted as a matter of right in R-4 subject to development standards. Additionally, in the Malibou Lake Area within the Santa Monica Mountains North Area Community Standards District and Santa Monica Mountains Coastal Zone District, the renting of rooms in dwelling units is prohibited.

DRP en Español

Online Appointment Now Available!

Metro Area Plan Outdoor Permit Covid-19 UAS Drone Housing Element Update SB 9 Oil Well Tree Pest Disease FFCP Homeless Buying Property SEATAC Historic Preservation DRP Video Library

Follow Us

Twitter Facebook Instagram YouTube

©2009 Los Angeles County Department of Regional Planning.

All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement.

Please send website questions and comments to webadmin@planning.lacounty.gov

Many of our documents are in PDF format. You can download Adobe Reader by clicking this link.

Department of Regional Planning
320 West Temple Street
Los Angeles, CA 90012
T: (213) 974-6411 . F: (213) 626-0434
TDD: (213) 617-2292
Twitter Facebook Instagram YouTube