Los Angeles County Department of Regional Planning


.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
Created On:
Sep 11, 2008
Last Updated:
Aug 19, 2021
Page Feedback:
Filed Under:
How-To, Legacy,

How To Request A Parcel Map

A Parcel Map is Required:

  • When a division of real property is proposed which would create four (4) or fewer parcels or four (4) or fewer condominium units (i.e. Minor Land Division);
  • When each parcel created by a subdivision contains at least forty (40) acres or each parcel contains at least twenty (20) acres and have approved access to a maintained public street or highway;
  • When certain commercial or industrial property is proposed to be divided; or
  • When certain property is proposed for division which is already served by fully improved streets.

In the unincorporated area of Los Angeles County, parcel maps are reviewed by the Subdivision Committee comprised of representatives of the County Departments of Regional Planning, Public Works, Fire, Public Health and Parks and Recreation. Any technical problems are usually resolved at this stage. After the Subdivision Committee’s review has been completed and any required environmental documentation has been completed, a public hearing will be scheduled either before a Hearing Officer or the Regional Planning Commission (RPC). Following the public hearing, the Hearing Officer or the RPC approves or disapproves the tentative parcel map based upon the testimony, the recommendations of the Subdivision Committee, and the mandates of the Los Angeles County Subdivision Ordinance and the State Map Act. Hearing Officer decisions regarding parcel maps may be appealed to the RPC; and, RPC decisions may be appealed to the Board of Supervisors (BOS). Projects with associated legislative requests, including a zone change, plan amendment, etc., are also scheduled for public hearing before the Board of Supervisors (BOS).

To be approved, a parcel map must be consistent with the adopted General Plan, including local area and community plans, and the applicable zoning which reflect the County’s policy regarding land use. If the proposed parcel map is not consistent with the applicable general plan and zoning, it cannot be approved. General plans and zoning ordinances can be amended to address changed circumstances but only after thorough study and public hearings before the RPC and the Board of Supervisors (BOS). Amendments to State mandated elements of the Countywide General Plan are limited to four per calendar year.

Major issues involved in the evaluation of proposed parcel maps include:

  • Consistency with the applicable General Plan and zoning requirements
  • Compatibility with surrounding land uses
  • Subdivision and other standards
  • Land suitability and physical constraints
  • Project design and layout
  • Availability of adequate access, public services and facilities to serve the proposed development
  • Potential environmental impacts and mitigation measures

Application Procedure

General Plan and Zoning information, application forms, and fee schedules may be obtained by contacting the Department of Regional Planning at Hall of Records, 320 West Temple Street, Room 1360, Los Angeles, CA 90012. Telephone (213) 974-6411. Email .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address). Our office hours are from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday and from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Wednesdays. The office is closed every Friday. If your proposed development involves a land division, (a parcel map or a tentative tract map), you may wish to schedule a “One Stop” counseling appointment in order to obtain additional information from representatives of the Department of Public Works and the Fire Department as well as Regional Planning staff.

Application Processing

When you have completed the application forms and assembled all of the required materials, you will need to call (213) 974-6438 to schedule a filing appointment. A planner will review the materials to ensure that all necessary items, including the required signatures and filing fees, are submitted before accepting the application and assigning a project number.

After the application has been logged into our case tracking system, it will be forwarded to the appropriate processing section. When the processing section has determined the application to be complete and the required environmental documentation has been completed, a public hearing will be scheduled before a Hearing Officer or the RPC. If the project involves a plan amendment, a zone change, or discretionary permits in addition to a parcel map, a concurrent hearing will be scheduled. The processing section will advise you of the hearing date and the deadline for posting of notices on the subject property, mail notices to all owners of property within 500 feet of the subject property, publish notices in a local newspaper, and prepare a staff report and recommendation prior to the public hearing.

Following the public hearing, the Hearing Officer or the RPC will approve or deny the proposed parcel map and adopt findings for denial or findings and conditions for approval. The Hearing Officer’s decision may be appealed to the RPC; and, the RPC’s decision may be appealed to the Board of Supervisors.

Public Hearings

At the time and place advertised in the public notice, a Hearing Officer or the RPC will conduct a public hearing on your request. These hearings are normally held in Room 150 of the Hall of Records, 320 West Temple Street, Los Angeles. Hearing Officer meetings usually convene at 9:00 a.m. on Tuesday mornings. Commission meetings usually convene at 9:00 a.m. on Wednesday mornings.

Hearing Officers are appointed by the Director of Regional Planning, subject to confirmation by the Board of Supervisors. The RPC is composed of five members appointed by the County Board of Supervisors.

The applicant and/or his representative should attend the public hearing and be prepared to present and explain the proposed parcel map. You may submit maps, graphics, letters, petitions or other documents in support of your request. You may call on other people, such as consultants or surrounding property owners who support your proposal, to assist you in presenting your case. Other interested persons, including neighboring property owners will have an opportunity to address the Hearing Officer or the Commission. You and/or your representative will be given an opportunity to testify in support of your project and to respond to any objections.

The Hearing Officer or the RPC may continue the public hearing and may schedule a field trip to view the subject property and its surroundings. After the hearing has been closed, the Hearing Officer or the RPC will render a decision. The Hearing Officer’s decision may be appealed to the RPC; and, the RPC’s decision may be appealed to the Board of Supervisors.

If the RPC’s decision is appealed to the Board, a public hearing will be held by the Board. The hearing procedures are similar to those of the RPC. The Executive Officer/Clerk of the Board of Supervisors will notify you of the time and place of the hearing and the deadline for posting of notices on the subject property. The Board of Supervisors’ meetings are held in the Board Hearing Room, (Room 381), in the Kenneth Hahn Hall of Administration, 500 West Temple Street, Los Angeles 90012.

The Board consists of five Supervisors, each of whom is elected by the voters of his or her district.

Proponents and opponents will be given an opportunity to be heard. Once the hearing is closed, the Board will render a decision to approve, deny, or modify the proposed parcel map.

Final Parcel Maps

If the tentative parcel map is approved, the applicant may then prepare the final parcel map, incorporating all of the conditions which can be shown on a map. Necessary improvement bonding is resolved between the subdivider and appropriate departments. Once all of the conditions of the affected departments have been met and the Department of Public Works has been so advised, the Department of Public Works approves the final parcel map and files the final map for recordation. In certain circumstances the requirement for recordation of a final parcel map may be waived for minor land divisions. In those instances, recordation of a Parcel Map Waiver and Certificate of Compliance would be required. The final parcel map must be recorded within two (2) years from the date of approval of the tentative parcel map. However, an extension of up to six (6) additional years (one year at a time) may be requested prior to the expiration of the initial two year period or the expiration of any subsequent extension.

ADA Accommodations

If you require reasonable accommodations or auxiliary aids and services such as material in an alternate format or a sign language interpreter, please contact the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) Coordinator at (213) 974-6488 (Voice) or (213) 617-2292 (TDD), with at least five business days notice.

DRP en Español

Online Appointment Now Available!

Metro Area Plan Outdoor Permit Covid-19 UAS Drone Housing Element Update SB 9 Oil Well Tree Pest Disease FFCP Homeless Buying Property SEATAC Historic Preservation DRP Video Library

Follow Us

Twitter Facebook Instagram YouTube

©2009 Los Angeles County Department of Regional Planning.

All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement.

Please send website questions and comments to webadmin@planning.lacounty.gov

Many of our documents are in PDF format. You can download Adobe Reader by clicking this link.

Department of Regional Planning
320 West Temple Street
Los Angeles, CA 90012
T: (213) 974-6411 . F: (213) 626-0434
TDD: (213) 617-2292
Twitter Facebook Instagram YouTube