Los Angeles County Department of Regional Planning


.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
Created On:
Dec 08, 2008
Last Updated:
May 03, 2017
Page Feedback:
Filed Under:
How-To, FAQ,

Miscellaneous FAQ

Other Land Use Questions

Can you tell me if there are any easements on my property?

Public easements, such as flood control district easements and slope easements, are usually indicated on recorded parcel maps, tract maps and the Assessor’s maps.  These maps may be reviewed at the Regional Planning Department, Public Works, and the Assessor’s Office. However, we are unable to verify if there are any private easements, such as road and utility right-of-ways. The best source for easement information is your most current title report and/or policy of title insurance.

Can I grade my property?

Any proposed grading must be in conjunction with a proposed development. We do not allow for only grading on a property unless a surface mining permit is obtained.

Are there any restrictions on grading?

If the proposal involves more than 1,000 cubic yards of solid fill materials deposited for any purpose (whether on-site or off-site), this is considered a solid fill project and would require a Conditional Use Permit (CUP).

If the proposal involves more than 100,000 cubic yards of either cut and/or fill (5,000 cubic yards within the Santa Monica Mountains North Area Community Standards District), this would require a Conditional Use Permit (CUP).

If the proposal involves more than 10,000 cubic yards of soil which will be exported off-site, a haul route is required along with your application submittal (more than 1,000 cubic yards within the Santa Monica Mountains North Area Community Standards District). If 1,000 cubic yards of soil will be deposited on another site, this site must have an approved Conditional Use Permit (CUP).

Note that an initial study may also be required. Please note that the information provided above is not comprehensive. Please refer to the Title 22 Planning and Zoning. You may also choose to contact the public counter staff for more information.

Does the County have any housing programs or initiatives?

The Department of Regional Planning maintains the County’s housing policies in the Housing Element. To view the Housing Element, please visit the Department of Regional Planning’s Housing Element page. For the latest on County housing policy initiatives in progress, please visit the Housing Initiatives page.

In August 2006, the Board of Supervisors adopted a Density Bonus Ordinance, in accordance with changes in State-mandated density bonus law effective in 2005 (SB 1818). For more information on density bonus, please visit the Density Bonus page.

For help in locating housing, please visit the County’s Housing Resource Center.

I wish to request a reduction in the street right-of-way. Who do I contact?

For information regarding a waiver of the required highway dedication or alley dedication, please contact the Department of Public Works, Land Development Division. Once you have submitted an application for your project with our department, please obtain the form called “Procedures to Apply for a Modification of a Road Right of Way” from our public counter staff. Follow the instructions on the form and submit your application request to Public Works, Land Development Division Public Counter, 3rd Floor, 900 South Fremont Avenue, Alhambra, CA 91803. Note that this procedure requires an application fee and there is no guarantee of any grant of waiver.

What is an SEA?

Please visit the Significant Ecological Areas (SEAs) FAQ page for more information.

Rebuild Letters

I’m trying to get a loan for my residence or business and my bank is requiring that I obtain a rebuild letter from the Regional Planning Department, what is a rebuild letter and how can I obtain such a letter?

A rebuild letter states whether the existing structure is conforming or non-conforming and whether it may or may not be rebuilt in the event that the structure is damaged or completely destroyed.

To apply for a rebuild letter (PDF or Word), please follow the instructions on the application for submittal. Please refer to the fee schedule for the cost of a rebuild letter request.

How long is the processing time for a rebuild letter request?

Once a rebuild letter request is received, processing time is approximately 7 to 10 business days. You may choose to submit your rebuild letter request to us in person or through postal mail. However, note that if you choose to mail in your request, we may not receive your request until several days to a week later.

Zoning Violation Questions

What constitutes a zoning violation?

A zoning violation is any land use maintained contrary to the provisions of the Los Angeles County Code Title 22 Planning and Zoning. For more information, please click here or contact our public counter staff.

How can I report a potential zoning violation?

For information on how to report a potential zoning violation, please click here. Or, you may choose to contact the County Help Hotline by dialing 211. Representatives will forward your complaint to the appropriate department(s).

Contact Information

Do planners have direct telephone numbers?

Unfortunately, each planner may not have a designated phone line. Planners of one section may share the same telephone line. However, if you call during off hours, you are able to leave a message for a particular planner in his or her designated voice mailbox.

DRP en Español

Online Appointment Now Available!

Metro Area Plan Outdoor Permit Covid-19 UAS Drone Housing Element Update SB 9 Oil Well Tree Pest Disease FFCP Homeless Buying Property SEATAC Historic Preservation DRP Video Library

Follow Us

Twitter Facebook Instagram YouTube

©2009 Los Angeles County Department of Regional Planning.

All Rights Reserved. Terms under which this service is provided to you. Privacy Statement.

Please send website questions and comments to webadmin@planning.lacounty.gov

Many of our documents are in PDF format. You can download Adobe Reader by clicking this link.

Department of Regional Planning
320 West Temple Street
Los Angeles, CA 90012
T: (213) 974-6411 . F: (213) 626-0434
TDD: (213) 617-2292
Twitter Facebook Instagram YouTube