Yard Sale Ordinance Update
The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors (BOS) adopted the Yard Sale Ordinance Update for unincorporated areas of Los Angeles County on November 17, 2015. The Ordinance takes effect on December 17, 2015 (30-days from adoption). The purpose for the Ordinance update includes the following:
- Establishes standards for conducting yard sales as accessory to a residential use in any zone;
- Limits Yard Sales to the last full weekend (Saturday and Sunday) of each month (known as the designated weekend).
- Yard Sales are prohibited Monday – Friday;
- Yard Sales are prohibited within the sidewalk, street, alley or any other public right-of-way;
- Establishes a registration process to allow two additional yard sales within a calendar year on non-designated weekends; and
- Provides a free-of-charge registration process with DRP.
This Yard Sale Ordinance is applicable only to unincorporated communities of Los Angeles County. Property within a city jurisdiction, is subject to the local city’s Yard Sale Ordinance.
The Yard Sale Registration is required for non-designated weekends (Saturday and Sunday), not to exceed two (2) additional yard sales within a calendar year. The registration form can be accessed:
- Online at: http://planning.lacounty.gov/apps
- In-person at the Department of Regional Planning offices:
Yard Sale Registration forms may be submitted:
- Fax at 213-626-0434
- Board of Supervisors Consent - November 17, 2015 - Board Adoption (effective 12/17/15)
- Board of Supervisors Public Hearing - April 28, 2015
- Regional Planning Commission Public Hearing - November 19, 2014
Report a Yard Sales Violation