Florence-Firestone Community Plan
Exciting things are happening with the Florence-Firestone Community Plan Program
Draft Florence-Firestone Community Plan- December 2012
Read the latest Draft and sign up to be notified of future events and milestones
Building on the community’s vision of the future, DRP recently completed the Draft Florence-Firestone Community Plan (Draft Plan), which is now available for review and comment. Part of the Los Angeles County General Plan, the Draft Plan addresses: Land Use; Community Design and Maintenance; Community Services and Facilities; Economic Development; Health and Safety; Housing; Mobility; and, Open Space and Recreation. The Draft Plan also includes a Land Use Policy Map, which assigns a new land use designation to each and every parcel within the community. Finally, an Implementation section is included to help move the Draft Plan from policies to action.
Is your parcel recommended for a zone change?
Zone changes are recommended concurrent with the Draft Plan to implement the land use policy map and resolve existing or newly created inconsistencies between land use and zoning. A community-wide proposed zoning map is attached to the Draft Zone Change Ordinance. The zone changes will require updates to 7 zone district maps, which collectively comprise Florence-Firestone. They are: No. 7 (Walnut Park); No. 15 (Stark Palms); No. 41 (Central Gardens); No. 44 (Roosevelt Park); No. 58 (Gage-Holmes); No. 60 (Compton-Florence); and, No. 64 (Firestone Park)
A searchable Land Use and Zoning Lookup Table, with existing (adopted) and proposed (draft) land use and zoning designations for every parcel, is available here. A new web-based GIS application called FF-NET was developed specifically for the Florence-Firestone community and is now available here.
Florence-Firestone-specific regulations are being revised
Part of the Los Angeles County Zoning Ordinance, also known as Title 22, the Florence-Firestone CSD is a set of supplemental zoning regulations developed especially for, and applicable only within, the unincorporated area of Florence-Firestone. The CSD was established in 2004 to help enhance the appearance of the community, promote property maintenance, and improve compatibility between land uses. The purpose of the revision is to provide enhanced clarity with regard to key implementation and enforcement issue areas.
The Florence-Firestone Community Plan is a participatory planning initiative that seeks to develop a long-range, comprehensive plan for the community of Florence-Firestone. Development of the Plan is a highly collaborative and iterative process. Community members and County agency staff work together to identify the issues and craft long-term goals and policies to help realize the common vision. The Plan is an outgrowth of a visioning process conducted in 2009, which yielded a Vision Plan and Vision Poster. In 2011, through a collaborative public participation process, that vision evolved into a Community Plan Poster and Preliminary Draft Community Plan.
Public Workshops and Hearings
Community participation is at the heart of the planning process. Residents, business owners and other stakeholders were invited to share their ideas regarding the future of Florence-Firestone at a series of community workshops in 2009. The result of these workshops was the Florence-Firestone Vision Plan. A second series of workshops was held in 2011 to refine the broad direction provided in the Vision Plan and to develop components of the Community Plan. Throughout the planning process, DRP staff reports to, and receives direction from, the Regional Planning Commission. Below please find summaries and materials from each event, workshop or hearing held to date.
- Florence-Firestone Community Plan- Community Meeting - September 2012
- Florence-Firestone Community Plan- Regional Planning Commission Briefing - January 2012
- Florence-Firestone Community Plan- Graham Elementary Career Day - May 2011
- Florence-Firestone Community Plan- Poster Plan Workshop - April 2011
- Florence-Firestone Community Plan- Land Use Workshop - March 2011
- Florence-Firestone Community Plan- Goals and Policies Workshop - February 2011
- Florence-Firestone Community Plan- Community Leaders Presentation - February 2011
- Florence-Firestone Community Plan- Kickoff Workshop - January 2011
- Florence-Firestone Community Plan- Regional Planning Commission Briefing - January 2011
- Florence-Firestone Chamber of Commerce Presentation - March 2010
- Florence-Firestone Community Leaders Presentation - January 2010
- Florence-Firestone Community Tour - December 2009
- Florence-Firestone Visioning Workshop 3: Vision Plan - March 2009
- Florence-Firestone Visioning Workshop 2: Visioning - February 2009
- Florence-Firestone Visioning Workshop 1: Community Goals - January 2009
- Draft Florence-Firestone Community Plan and Maps - December 2012
- Draft Florence-Firestone Zone Change Ordinance and Map - December 2012
- Draft Florence-Firestone Community Standards District Update and Map – December 2012
- Draft Florence-Firestone Community Plan and Maps - September 2012
- Draft Florence-Firestone Zone Change Ordinance and Map - September 2012
- Draft Florence-Firestone Community Standards District Update with Map - September 2012
- Preliminary Draft Florence-Firestone Community Plan - January 2012
- Community Plan Poster
- Florence-Firestone Community Plan Background Report and Maps- December 2010
- Land Use and Sustainability Report- June 2010
- Transit-Oriented Development Evaluation- June 2010
- Market Feasibility Analysis- June 2010
- Community Parks and Recreation Plan- October 2010
- Florence-Firestone Vision Plan- June 2009
- Florence-Firestone Vision Plan Poster- June 2009
Are you on the Florence-Firestone Community List?