Commercial and Industrial FAQ
- I want to open a new business or change to a different business. What must I do?
- Verify that the proposed business or use is permitted in the zone.
- Check the commercial development standards and any special district, area and plan requirements to design your project.
- For multi-tenant centers, the entire center must meet parking requirements for all uses on the property, not just the proposed business. A parking table for the entire center will be required for verification.
- For new construction:
- Verify whether a Certificate of Compliance and fee is also required.
- If the property is subject to a conditional use permit, a revised Exhibit "A" application and fee are required.
- If the project meets all regulations, a site plan review application and fee are required.
- Once your application is approved, you must still obtain all required agency permits and approvals before you can actually open your business. Planning approval alone does not guarantee this.
- Do I need a business license?
Only certain types of businesses need a business license. To verify, contact the Treasurer Tax Collector Business License Department at (213) 974-2011. They are located at 225 North Hill Street, Room 109, Los Angeles, CA 90012.
- What are the parking requirements?
The parking requirement is the minimum number of parking spaces that must be provided. Each use must provide a minimum number of required parking spaces in accordance with Part 11 of Chapter 22.52.
- What are the sign regulations for my business?
Sign regulations are located in Part 10 of Chapter 22.52.